1. We’ve had a good start, but next, more work needs _____ to achieve the final success.
A. being done B. do C. to be done D. to do
2. Don’t worry. The hard work that you do now _____ later in life.
A. will be repaid B. was being repaid
C. has been repaid D. was repaid
3. Time, _____ correctly, is money in the bank.
A. to use B. used C. using D. use
4. Bicycling is good exercise; _____, it does not pollute the air.
A. nevertheless B. besides C. otherwise D. therefore
5. Close the door of fear behind you, and you _____ the door of faith open before you.
A. saw B. have seen C. will see D. are seeing
6. The place we live in is called house in English but 房子 in Chinese. This shows the ______ of language.
A. arbitrariness B. duality C. creativity D. displacement
7. In Chinese if someone breaks a bowl or a plate the host or the people present are likely to say sui sui ping an. This language phenomenon reflects the ______ of language.
A. Performative Function B. Emotive Function
C. Phatic Function D. Recreational Function
8. Both syntax and semantics are the branches of linguistics, the former studies the rules governing the combination of words sentences, the latter studies _____.
A. the form of words B. the meaning of language
C. the sound patterns of language D. the change of language
9. A syllable is a part of a word which contains a _____ and is pronounced as a unit.
A. consonant B. vowel C. phoneme D. pitch
10. The most distinguishable linguistic feature of a regional dialect is its _____.
A. accent B. use of words C. morphemes D. use of structures
11. In meaningful practice the focus is on the production, comprehension or exchange of ___.
A. structures B. sentences C. form D. meaning
12. PPP and TBL are two approaches to language teaching. PPP stands for presentation, practice and production, and TBL stands for _____.
A.Task Book Language stands B.Text Book Learning
C.Teacher-Based Learning D.Task-Based Learning
13.Hedge discusses five main components of communicative competence. These components include linguistic competence, pragmatic competence, discourse competence, strategic competence, and _____.
A. accuracy B. fluency C. correctness D. grammaticality
14. _____ does not belong to formative assessment.
A. Learner portfolio B. Test results
C. Classroom observation D. Student diaries
15.What is the teacher doing in terms of error correction?
“S: I go to the theatre last night.”
T: You GO to the theatre last night?
A. Correcting the student’s mistake.
B. Hinting that there is a mistake.
C. Encouraging peer correction.
D. Asking the student whether he really went to the theatre.
16. When learners come across new words, they are required to focus on _____.
A. spelling B. semantic features
C. form, meaning and use D. word formation
17. Which of the following features is not exhibited by the deductive method?
A. It saves time.
B. It pays more attention to form.
C. It teaches grammar in a decontextualized.
D. It encourages students to work out the grammatical way rules.
18. _____ may be defined as any kind of engaging with the language on the part of the learners, usually under the teacher supervision, whose primary objective is to consolidate learning.
A. Presentation B. Practice C. Production D. Preparation
19. The activity of _____ may maximize the possibility of eliciting ideas, words or concepts from students when it is focused on a given topic.
A. retelling B. assessing output
C. brainstorming D. comprehension
20. Which of the following nominating patterns can a teacher adopt to ensure that all students are activity involved in classroom activities?
A. Nominating those who are good at English.
B. Asking questions in a predicable sequence.
C. Nominating students after the question is given.
D. Nominating students before giving the question.